Digital Mammography in Gainesville, TX
What is a Digital mammography Test?
Medical technology continues to advance. One test that has improved to identify breast cancer more reliably and quickly is digital mammography. This procedure recommended as a yearly X-ray. Digital mammography is a non-invasive test that scans the breast tissue for anything irregular and showing changes from the last test. If the doctor prefers, they may order a digital test versus a regular mammogram.
The procedure for the current mammogram versus digital mammograms is the same. The difference is how the films are analyzed and stored. For years X-ray technicians recorded the results for mammograms on hard film. Now, because of increased and improved digital technologies, digital mammogram images are now stored on a computer.
When Does a Doctor Typically Prescribe a Digital Mammography Test?
Doctors may prescribe digital mammography if they suspect new issues such as lumps, patient complaints of pain, breast size changes, nipple discharge, or previous breast cancer history.
While a regular mammogram X-ray does identify possible cancer issues, it is the digital mammogram that provides more precise and clearer pictures.
How to Prepare for a Regular or Digital Mammography Test?
- The facility doing mammograms needs to be certified by the FDA. Certification means that the facility meets the highest standards. The doctor may refer the patient to the facility of choice.
- If the patient used the facility before, they would have previous X-rays so the doctor can compare the current text with those from previous years. If the patient never used the facility, the patient needs to bring mammograms results to the appointment.
- Schedule a mammogram when the breasts are not tender, avoiding the week before and during menstruation.
- Do not wear deodorant or powders on breasts or underarms as sometimes this shows up on the X-ray and can cause confusion.
- If a mammogram causes tenderness as it does to some women, take ibuprofen, acetaminophen, Advil, or other about one hour before the X-ray.
How to Schedule an Appointment for a Mammogram at North Texas Medical Center?
If you would like to schedule a digital mammogram or have questions for preparation, then please contact us today to speak with a member of our staff.
1900 Hospital Blvd
Gainesville, TX 76240
Hours of operation:
24-hour inpatient service, 8 a.m. – 5 p.m., Monday-Friday for outpatient procedures.